Dancer, Choreographer , Instructor in Indian dance
Usha has made important contributions to contemporary dance as a choreographer of exceptional merit. Utilizing the resources of bharatanatyam, kalaripayattu (martial arts) and yoga, she has attempted to create a dance language informed with contemporary sensibility and vitality
Usha wanted to put her love for dance on a higher level and became a professional bharatanatyam dancer. She joined the famous dance institution Kalakshetra College of Fine Arts in Chennai, India. She continued the intense dance training for four years and graduated with the Academic Award in Bharatanatyam.
After receiving the graduation, Usha joined Chandralekha’s Dance Group and travelled all around the world giving outstanding performances on many big stages, like in New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Djakarta, Hamburg, Avignon and Rio de Janeiro. With her she have performed widely in India and abroad winning national and international recognition at various festivals and workshops.
Today Usha has given several performances in India and she is performing and teaching on a regular basis in Sweden. She established Saraswathy Kala Kendra Dance Company in 2002 and have performed and conducted workshops throughout Sweden and abroad. The company has arranged several big festivals for Indian dance and music in Sweden.
My heart beat for classical Indian dance and I try to carve a space and platform for the classical Indian art in Sweden.
I regularly invite top artists to Sweden to perform and give workshops.
My aim is to generate a general knowledge regarding the beautiful and spiritual classical Indian dance and music.
My teaching is based on the Vaganova technique and methodology. At lower levels, I focus on teaching the body’s position and understanding of the basic moves and steps. It is also important for the artistic expression of dance and that you should feel that you truly dance. At higher levels, we use and extend previous knowledge. I take a more liberal interpretation of the grounds in the form of choreographic elements and personal look at the classes.
Carina Ari dagen i Guldfoajén – 2011 , Fotograf: Michael Schmidt
- Raga Solo Kilen Kulturhuset, Stockholm
- International Cultural Exchange Conference, Stockholm, Caina Ari Foundations
- Kista Träff, Stockholm, Indian Association
- Dance Competition, Wuppertal, Germany
- Asian Festival, Stockholm
- Hindu temple Association, Stockholm
- Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm
- Indo-Swedish Association, Stockholm
- Indo-International Bakai center
- Fittja Auditorium, Tamlian Assosiation, Stockholm
- Indo-International Bakai center,(Kulturhuset Stockholm)
- Indo-Swedish Association, Stockholm
- 1st Our school Annual Day celebration, ABF Auditorium,Huddinge
- Kulturföreningen Lyktan, Stockholm
- Kung i det gröna Hagelbyparken,Botkyrka
- Internationella biblioteket,Stockholm
- 2nd Our school Annual Day celebration,ABF Auditorium,Huddinge
- Diwali festival, Hotell Hilton Slussen
- Huddinge Asian festival, Huddinge ABF Auditorium
- Husby festivalen,Husby centrum Stockholm
- Multicultural day (BAZAAR),Skansen Stockholm
- Stockholm culture festival 2008,Sergels torg Stockholm
- Indisk kultur festival, Gamlastan
- 3rd Our school Annual Day celebration,ABF Auditorium,Huddinge
- Växhuset Västerås
- A Reflection to inner landscapes — Usha Balasundaram, Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
- World dance festival, Kulturhuset Göteborg slussen
- 4th Our school Annual Day celebration,ABF Auditorium,Huddinge.
- “SARIRA” – indisk dans. Föreställningen börjar i den sydindiska klassiska dansen, Bharatnatyam och går vidare över modernare dansformer fram till dagens Bollywooddans.Koreografen och dansaren Usha Balasanduram.
- Hindi day celebration,Etnografiska museet Stockholm.
- 5th Our school Annual Day celebration,vårby hallen,Vårby.
- Stockholms Läns Blasarsymfoniker och Bollywood – artister fran Indien,Nybrokajen,Stockholm.
- Södra sidans femårsfest i stads-teaterns foajé
- Carina Ari day of the Golden Foyer
Rehersal at konserthuset ( Kulturförvaltningen, Kulturskolan Stockholm)
Usha started cultural association “RASA Dance” which was doing many cultural activities in Stockholm and other cities.
One of the most successfull event is Asian festival which is been conducted for many years in Stockholm , by inviting various artist from India and other countries.
Photo : Asian festival 2013
Tags: bharatanatyam, dance, india, stockholm, Sweden, usha balasundaram