The housing crisis has been happening for a very long time as people are moving to cities and more people are arriving for study and work.
Moving from a foreign-land to Netherlands/Holland
- Start the apartment search process 4-5 months before arrival.
- Request the employer to provide 1 month of temporary accommodation.
- If your employer doesn’t provide temporary accommodation look for short term apartments
- They are mostly cheap
- Once you land in the city you will have a better understanding of your work locations, kids school/day-care which will help you figure out the best location to rent an apartment.
- Getting an apartment in City center is very hard and costly so look for outer locations.
- If you managed to get contact with landlord , always ask for photos or someone local in the city to check the authenticity of the property and the landlord.
- Amsterdam Apartments
- Amstel Housing
- Amstelland Housing
- Direkt Wonen
- Dutch Housing
- HHPM Vastgoed beheer
- Holland Home
- Housing Online
- HTel Business Suites
- Inter Agency Holland
- Perfect Housing
- Renthouse BV
- TVN Real Estate
- Housing Netherlands
- Housing XL
Good to Know
- RentingSafely provides tipe on avoid scammers
- Never pay any agent before visiting the apartment.
- Never do wire-transfer of money through Moneygram/Western Union as advance/rent.
- Always have proper agreement signed with the owner.
- Make sure that the owner has the approval from the apartment association to rent the property (Some associations wont allow this.)
- Make sure the apartment is checked properly before renting.
- Check who owns the apartment via the Kadaster property register
- If you still got scammed, immediately contact the police and press charges.
- If there are some damages/faults make sure you take photos and get is verified/signed with the owner.
- You can find here your rights as a tenant and rules and regulations for protecting tenant
Rent and Bills
- Average room cost will be 300 EUR – 600 EUR
- Deposit is usually 2 month rent.
- Check what is included in the rent
- Some include Gas, Electricity, Water, Internet
- Rental contracts usually are initially 1 year long.
Rental benefit called a huurtoeslag is available for those renting private properties on low incomes, to know more about this consult your local government advice centre or check online
International students can contactof the Dutch Student Union for and by students incase if there are any issues or problems with housing.
More information about renting property can be found in Govt of Netherlands website
Category: Amsterdam, Apartment, Housing, Netherlands, Rotterdam, The Hague
NOTE : If you think there is more information which can be added to this post please suggest us.
If you need any expert tips in apartment search or any questions while on the process of moving to Netherlands, Please contact our Online Chat Support
Tags: accomodation, amsterdam, appartment, expat, holland, netherlands, renting, student, tenant